Lemon-Poppy Seed Buttermilk Pancakes with Crickets
Time – 30 minutes
Yield – 15 pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup of Sustain cricket powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for the griddle
- Warm pure maple syrup, for serving
How to Make It
In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the Sustain cricket powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the eggs, vanilla, zest, lemon juice, poppy seeds and the 6 tablespoons of melted butter. Using a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle and brush lightly with melted butter. Scoop 1/4-cup mounds of batter into the skillet and spread into 8cm rounds. Cook over moderate heat until the pancakes are golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip each pancake and cook until fluffy and cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer the pancakes to plates and serve with maple syrup.